Sunday, May 16, 2010

If a tree falls in the forest . . .

We lost a 30' pear tree in our front yard yesterday. A big storm come though on Friday and it split the tree near the base. The split portion fell on the house and irreparably weakened the rest of the tree. Yesterday, they took it down. The entire tree. I watched the entire process and recorded it with photos, of course. It took the professionals a mere two and a half hours to destroy what took nature 23 years to build. We now have a wall of branches and stumps on the curb waiting for Wednesday's big trash pick up day. I know it's probably silly to some of you but to me, it's just terribly, terribly sad.

All of our neighbors came out to talk, commiserate and visit with us while it was coming down. All except the bizarre neighbor to my left who thankfully, is moving out this weekend. As she came out, saw what was going on, and went about her business, completely ignoring all of us in the street watching and visiting, it only confirms my poor opinion of her. I hope she'll be happier and maybe more friendly in her new neighborhood. More, I hope the people moving in will be better neighbors to us.

The damage to our house is minimal and limited to the gutters and a few shingles on the roof. I should be thankful for that but I just can't seem to get there. I look at our home and I see naked. The one remaining tree will need to come down before too much longer because the tree that fell provided a lot of support for it. Now it looks terribly lonely as it leans over my soon-to-be new neighbor's driveway. I hope they weren't counting on it for shade. We will put in a new tree out front, a Live Oak, in the coming weeks but it can't possibly catch up to to it's predecessor while we live here.

I posted some photos of the process on Facebook if you want to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment